Archive

Archive for July, 2012

Catching up – April

July 29, 2012 Leave a comment

I became the proud owner of a new Janome sewing machine at the beginning of April (a Memory Craft 6600p) but looking back over the last few months there is a definite lack of quilts being made – or at least quilts finished!

The last quilt I made was back in April –  the one using a rail fence pattern –  for my friend Cath who has been having treatment for breast cancer over the last few months (you can read her blog here). I don’t get to see her very often, but I wanted to give her something to let her know I’m thinking of her – and that’s something a quilt does very well, I think!

I’d recently  bought a fat quarter bundle (from Quilt Me Happy) which had 3 solid fabrics (green, white and plum) and 3 patterned fabrics from Joel Dewberry’s Aviary 2 range (which I love!) so I decided to use that. Plus, I already had a couple of fabrics in my stash (from Khristian Howell) which blended with them really well. Once I’d chosen a rail fence block, I scanned the fabrics into EQ7 and had a play with designs.

You can see the main block in the pic below – by placing a dark fabric at the centre I found you can create some interesting effects.

Here’s the block actually in the quilt (with some swirly flower quilting).

As I mentioned before, EQ7 is fantastic for actually visualising what your quilt is going to look like when you make it. The design below is an early version, when I was just playing with the blocks.

In this quilt I reversed some of the blocks (so that they were a mirror image of each other) – by doing this you can line up the dark strips when you place the blocks next to each other and create a kind of basket weave effect.

I got the dark strips aligned, but wasn’t sure about the green and white fabrics that I’d included in the mirror image block (if you look carefully, you can see that the centre strips are slightly different in each of the 2 blocks – a solid in the first and third blocks of the top row and a matching pattern in the second .. basically, I didn’t have enough of the solid for all of the blocks!! – in the final quilt, I used a patterned fabric, but a different one to the one shown here)

Here’s another version – it’s amazing how different the quilt looks when you just change the centre strips – this gives a much softer contrast, so the basket weave effect isn’t quite so dominant.

In this version, I’m getting much closer to the design I finally went with – I do love that basket weave effect

And here is the final version – the quilt before basting and the EQ7 plan, below. As you can see, I took the green and white fabrics out of the blocks and used them in the border instead.

This quilt was lots of fun to work on and I think Cath was pleased with it too. I’d like to have a go at writing up the pattern soon, so let me know if you’re interested – I might need a bit of a spur to get started!

Advertisements
Categories: Uncategorized